Stop pitching and start engaging: This is the battle cry for the modern sales rep.
Sales reps lugging around briefcases of brochures and one-sheeters are boring their customers and prospects to sleep with a lack of engagement and effectiveness.
The rigors of today’s fast paced, high tech, mobile business marketplace just put the odds in favor of a modern sales rep over a non-conformist sales rep holding on to their paper handouts and leaving their iPad at the office.
Mobile technology is simply becoming a leading driver of sales success.
Successful sales reps need instant access to product information, digital collateral and account information−anywhere at anytime.
That gives the advantage to the modern sales rep.
We are here to tell you there is hope out there for those striving to become a modern sales rep.
And for those not striving but being pushed into the modern age, you need to embrace this. It could save your career.
Integrate the tablet into your sales process
Whether your company uses iPad, Android, Windows or has some other tablet deployed, you need to start using your tablet in front of customers.
We mean today.
The tablet gives power to the modern sales rep, and here are four ways how:
- Data on-demand − All of your digital collateral, CRM, product and pricing information, etc.
- Productivity − More time selling rather than driving back to the office to look up account information
- Showing vs. telling − Forget trying to explain how a product works when you can show them a video of the product in action
- Virtual sales calls − Go over information in real time by sharing your tablet screen with customers over the Internet
While tablet and sales tool adoption can take time, integrating a tablet into your sales process will eventually lead to achieving your sales objectives.
Modern sales rep best practices
Remember those Holiday Inn Express commercials where guests become experts at different things overnight?
Well just using your tablet in the field doesn’t make you a modern sales rep.
In today’s marketplace, change is constant.
The modern sales rep needs to stay sharp because of changing technology, sales methodology, or both. How can you stay sharp using your tablet in the field?
- Listening − The best asset to being a modern sales rep is listening to other modern sales reps. Learn what tablet tactics have worked for them. A great source would be champion users within your company who are already seeing selling success from using their tablet and sales tool. (We have some great training videos here on our site.)
- Joining the conversation − Don’t be bashful just because you are new to this and want to become a modern sales rep. Ask questions that will make you more informed. You can’t learn anything without asking sales enabling questions. LinkedIn groups like this one are a great way to learn more and join the conversation.
- Becoming a thought leader − After listening and joining the conversation, start your own conversations about your experiences as a modern sales rep. Share your thoughts with your fellow team members, sales enablement groups, anyone willing to learn how to become a modern sales rep. Giving back to the process is what will make all modern sales reps stronger.
Do you have what it takes?
Of course you do, but sometimes change is difficult.
Hand writing to typewriting to desktop typing to tablet tapping… this didn’t happen overnight.
Technology has evolved, and so has the sales process along with it.
So long as customers want to be sold with instant information and digital collateral, the modern sales rep needs to leverage the tablet to their advantage.
If you don’t take the first step to becoming a modern sales rep, your customers will go find someone else to buy from!